Sunday, August 7, 2011

How I got accepted..

Some people were asking about what I did to get accepted into the NDTL, so here it is! About 4 months ago I was browsing around Nerf.com and noticed that "registration" for the upcoming NDTL was open. I figured that my chances were as good as anyone else. Also I'm 17 so it would be my last year, unless they would ever make another age group for oldies :P.


 I read the terms and everything and basically you had to get lucky and get randomly picked, although some of being chose had to do with your application. I did have to fill out a survey/application and a bunch of information about myself, as well as a 250-500 word essay. In my essay I explained how I host Nerf Wars monthly at my house and have an average attendance of about 25 people (If anyone is near my area we'd happily welcome you to play with us!). I also threw in, "And I'm a beast with the Speedload 6" at the end of my essay, and that seemed to do the trick.

I had pretty much forgotten about even entering the "contest", although it would cross my mind here and there. One day about 2 weeks ago I received an email from Hasbro saying that I was a "potential finalist" for the NDTL. I then received a phone call the next week where I was asked if I could do a Skype interview the following Monday (this call was on Thursday). I obviously said sure and they scheduled me for 11:05AM on Monday morning (eastern time).

When Monday morning had finally rolled around, it was 11:10AM and still no Skype call. I was getting worried but then I received a Skype message that said "We will be contacting you at 11:35AM." 30 minutes late Nerf! This time they called my right at 11:35 and I answered the video call to Ryan McDonough getting his mic re-positioned by a tech guy. 

He interviewed me with simple questions like what is my favorite blaster? Why I think I should go to the NDTL? Who would I tell first? After 3-4 minutes he said, "Ok well I have some news for you... And well, its hard to tell people these kind of things when you can see them and all but... YOU'RE GOING TO ORLANDO!"

After I calmed down from my joyous excitement, he told me that he would have someone contact me with all of the details and that he is excited to meet me in Orlando. :) 

If you guys have anymore questions about what happened and how things when please ask and I'll try to reply quickly! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Basic Nerf here. I just wanna say congrats and good luck!

    Also email me (contact info is on my blog). I want to try and arrange an interview with you.

    - Jason, Basic Nerf

    ReplyDelete